Cabbage rolls with PDO huile d’olive de la Vallée des Baux-de-Provence – olives maturées
Tips and tricks
Add a handful of pitted PDO olives noires de Nyons to the stuffing.
We advise you to use a traditional-tasting PDO huile d’olive de la Vallée des Baux-de-Provence – olives maturées (matured olives) for its aromas of preserved olives, black olives, olive paste, cocoa, mushroom, cooked artichoke, truffle and sourdough bread. You can also use PDO huile d’olive d’Aix-en-Provence – olives maturées or huile d’olive de Provence – olives maturées.
- 1 large green cabbage (1.5 kg) or 1 white cabbage
- 3 to 4 slices of stale bread
- 20 cl milk
- 1 onion
- 200 g ground beef
- 150 g ground veal
- 250 g sausage meat
- 1 tsp strong mustard
- 1 egg
- 50 cl defatted beef broth
- 4 tbsp PDO huile d’olive de la Vallée des Baux-de-Provence – olives maturées
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Boil water in a large pot that can hold your whole cabbage. Salt the water. Wash the cabbage and hollow out the center by cutting the core into a cone with a large sharp knife. Immerse it entirely in water, simmer for at least 10 minutes, until the first leaves come off by themselves. Take them out of the water and place them on a clean cloth to drain. Continue until all the leaves are done.
- Soak the bread in milk. Finely slice the onion and mix it with the meats. In a bowl, place your stuffing, add the well-drained bread, mustard, 3 tablespoons olive oil and the egg. Season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Place 2 cabbage leaves (up to 3 if thin) on a plate, remove the ribs if they are too large and interfere with folding the leaves. Place a portion of the stuffing in the center, then fold both sides, carefully roll the leaves tightly (same technique as for spring rolls). Tie them up if needed.
- Arrange all the cabbage rolls in an ovenproof dish, pour in the broth and then 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cover the dish. Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes. Serve hot with steamed potatoes.
Recipe made for EcceOlio program, financed with aid from the European Union.