Christmas tree balls with PDO huile d’olive de Provence – olives maturées
Tips and tricks
For even more tastiness, you can add a few extra reblochon cubes to the Christmas tree just before baking.
We advise you to use a traditional-tasting PDO huile d’olive de Provence – olives maturées (matured olives) for its sweetness and aromas of black olives, candied fruit, undergrowth and/or toasted bread. You can also use PDO huile d’olive de la Vallée des Baux-de-Provence – olives maturées and PDO huile d’olive d’Aix-en-Provence – olives maturées
- For the pizza dough:
- 400 g gluten-rich flour
- 1 packet of dry baker’s yeast (or 18g fresh yeast)
- 22 cl water
- 2 tbsp PDO huile d’olive de Provence – olives maturées
- 6 g fine salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- For the filling:
- A quarter of reblochon
- 2 pears
- 2 tbsp honey
- About 20 PDO olives noires de Nyons
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp PDO balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp PDO huile d’olive de Provence – olives maturées
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of chopped PDO walnuts from Grenoble
- Prepare the pizza dough:
- Mix the yeast with 100g of lukewarm water and 50g of flour, let ferment for 30 minutes (Tip: Preheat the oven to 40 or 50°C, turn it off and put the yeast bowl in, the yeast will bubble and swell faster and more surely!).
- In a bowl or the bowl of your food processor, mix the rest of the flour with the salt, sugar and olive oil. Add the yeast and remaining water (cold). Knead for about 10 minutes, the dough should detach from the edge and be flexible.
- Prepare the filling:
- Peel and cut the pears into small cubes. Sauté in a tablespoon of olive oil with honey until lightly caramelized.
- Chop the equivalent of 2 tablespoons of rosemary. Pit the olives and cut them in half. Cut the reblochon in small cubes.
- Mix pears with the reblochon, half of the chopped rosemary, walnuts and olives. Put aside.
- Peel and cut the onion in half, slice thinly. Sauté the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil, stirring often. Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper and let it caramelize on low heat for a few minutes. Put aside.
- Take the dough and form balls of about 5 cm in diameter. Make a hole in the ball and add a little reblochon/pear/rosemary/walnut/olive mixture, close the ball and place on a baking sheet. Renew the operation as many times as necessary to form a Christmas tree (the balls should not touch, they will swell).
- Let it rest for an hour in a place sheltered from drafts (in an oven for example).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush your Christmas tree with olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped rosemary and the caramelized onions. Bake for about 15 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe made for EcceOlio program, financed by the European Union.