Lemon & poppy seed cake with PDO huile d’olive de Nice
DifficultyOlive oil or Olives used : PDO huile d’olive de Nice
Tips and tricks
For an original touch in the icing, you can replace the juice of one lemon with the juice of half a lemon and 1 tbsp. PDO olive oil from Nice.
- 2 untreated lemons
- 3 eggs
- 140 g sugar
- 180 g flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 pinch of salt
- 12 cl PDO huile d’olive de Nice
- 100 g icing sugar
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Grate the zest from the lemons, then squeeze their juice and set this aside.
- Whip the whole eggs with the sugar until the mixture whitens and doubles in volume. Add the zest and juice of the 2 lemons.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder, the poppy seeds and the salt. Gradually mix this into the egg/sugar/lemon mixture using a whisk to avoid lumps. Then add the olive oil.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin and bake for 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 180°C. Check to see whether the cake is cooked by inserting a knife in it. It the blade comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice. Ice the cold cake with this mixture. Allow to harden at room temperature for 1 to 2 hrs. As an option, you can decorate the cake with slices of candied lemon.
Web site : https://www.lookingfortheperfectfood.eu/en/