Red kuri squash with PDO huile d’olive de Corse – Oliu di Corsica
Tips and tricks
We advise you to use an intense-tasting PDO huile d’olive de Corse – Oliu di Corsica for its aromas of almond, artichoke, hay, dried fruits and apple.
You can also use one of these PDO olive oils: Aix-en-Provence, Haute-Provence, Nîmes, Provence, Vallée des Baux-de-Provence.
- 1 red kuri squash
- 1 onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 5 tbsp PDO huile d’olive de Corse – Oliu di Corsica
- 2 thick slices of stale bread
- 3 thin slices of bacon
- Espelette pepper
- Salt, pepper
- Wash your Red kuri squash well (the skin can be eaten), cut off the ends and cut it in half. Take the seeds out, cut it into cubes and set aside. Peel and slice the onion.
- In a casserole dish, sauté the onions in a tablespoon of olive oil. At the same time, prepare the vegetable stock by boiling water and dissolving the cube in it (or make a homemade vegetable stock!). When the onions are translucent, add the Red kuri squash cubes and sauté for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the Red kuri squash with vegetable stock and cook 30 to 45 minutes (the Red kuri squash cubes should be butter soft).
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into large stripes. Sauté them in a dry pan. Put aside. Cut the bread into large cubes. Sauté them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Put aside.
- Finish the soup by taking out a little stock that you put aside. Mix the soup finely, add a little stock to adjusts the consistency if needed. Add the grated nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season to taste and serve with the croutons and fried bacon.
Recipe made for EcceOlio program, financed with aid from the European Union